An exercise in creative writing

Friday, July 25, 2008

A Segue

I have no idea what was I thinking when I assumed that moving from one country to another, one continent to another, one type of job to another, would be a segue.

My entire life changed in one bold move and I should not have expected it to be so smooth and problem free as I did. Going through this adventure while being away from my family and friends, motivated only by my wonderful husband and my daydreaming abilities, had made the transition even bumpier.

On the day we got all our belongings to our new Dublin apartment, I was overwhelmed with emotions. Just a few months before, my husband and I had gone through the same experience, only I had my sister to help with the packaging and my father to offer a huge cup of steaming chocolate milk after a harsh day of unpacking and my mom to offer a generous dinner and a bag full of boxes for several more lunches and dinners at our new home.

However, moving in to our new apartment in Dublin had been a lonely experience with no help from anyone but ourselves. We had only each other for motivation and recharging.

We have evolved. We have found great strength in our new partnership. We have found great help in the arms of each other and that is great, but it sure was not a segue...

No comments: