An exercise in creative writing

Friday, July 4, 2008

Fire In The Sky

I have always loved fireworks. I still do. The beautiful visual effect. The excitement involved. Not to mention that it always signals that there is something to be happy about - an independence day, a wedding, a party of some sorts. There is always a happy occasion that follows the fireworks.

My nephew doesn't share my attitude towards fireworks. He is petrified when ever he hears the explosion sound and sees the fire in the sky.

When my nephew was almost 3 years old, we were celebrating one of the intermediate days of Passover. My mother had made a huge lunch, full of color and flavor, and my uncle and his family were with us as well. It was a lovely spring day and we all hanged out on my parent's porch. All of a sudden we heard a huge explosion and saw fire coming out of the gas station below the street. My nephew saw that as well.

As always (...), we immediately opened the television and the radio and our fears verified. There had been a terror attack in Haifa. A suicide bomber exploded inside a crowded restaurant near the gas station. Probably aiming to explode the fuel reserve and causing maximum harm. My nephew saw that. He saw the views of the injured and killed people. He heard everything.

From that point on, my nephew doesn't like fireworks anymore. He celebrated his 9th birthday yesterday.



--Time's up--

No comments: