An exercise in creative writing

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Out for A Run

Today's write is a personal journal entry, following the events that took place today in Israel.

As I woke up this morning, I woke up into a darker universe. I was still half asleep when my husband told me with sadness that our two soldiers - Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev - came back in coffins.

I was devastated to hear about the death of two Israeli soldiers who were captured two years ago inside the Israeli border. Soon after their abduction missiles were shot from Lebanon to northern Israel. It is still difficult for me to hear the sound of the siren, which signaled the coming of the missile, two years ago when I was in Haifa and under attack.

However, I am even more heartbroken from the price that Israel had to pay for these soldiers' decomposing bodies. 29 years ago, in 1979, a group of terrorist had penetrated the Israeli border and had managed to go as far inside as the Israeli city, Naharia. I was not yet born when that horrific event took place.

The terrorists had entered a civilian apartment building. Among the terrorists was the Lebanese shameful "hero" Samir Quntar. Quntar had found it in his heart to kill the father in front of his 4 year old daughter and then to put a bullet through the little girl's head. After shooting the poor orphan, he had smashed her sweet little head with his rifle's shaft. While this horror story had occurred, the child's mom and baby sister were hiding inside a kitchen cabinet. The baby started crying and her mom tried to keep her quiet, not knowing that by hashing her little baby in panic, the baby was suffocated to death.

This animal, Quntar, was 17 years old at the time. He was trialed and sent to life in prison for numerous counts of murder in the first degree (2 police officers were also killed by him after the raid). In prison Quntar had put on much weight and had attained an academic degree.

This animal is now released and an entire nation is celebrating his release. In my ideal world no one would have wanted his release and not a soul would have celebrated it. I am not living in an ideal world and I feel ashamed and nauseated by it.

today was a sad day for me and for the world's morality.

Trying to quiet my head and tunnel my frustration into positive channels, I'm now going out for a run.

No comments: