An exercise in creative writing

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Historical Fiction

Moses was on his way to the labor camp in Lodz. His 5 year old daughter held underneath his thin coat. "It is better she will be close to me. This way I can also give her my bread portion" he said to his wife.

Gaunt and droopy he started his long walk to work in a place that used to be owned by his family - the fabric factory in Lodz. He was almost there when a German soldier saw his little bulge. "halt!!" he shouted at Moses and motioned for him to go out of the line of workers.

Moses understood and closed his eyes, shedding a tear and saying a silent prayer. "Maybe you'd be better there, my sweet Sara". The soldier ripped his coat and than took Sara and shot her before her father's tearing eyes. His heart was ripped together with his coat.

The day afterwards the transport to Auschwitz was already on its gloomy way and on it, Moses and his wife stood silently, without their daughter.

The moment they got there, they were separated once again and Moses already knew what it meant. He said goodbye again. Another part of his 70 pound body had been ripped away from him and he no longer had his strength, so he shouted: "Hear me, my lord as, my lord, you are my god, my only lord".

I wish this story was indeed a fiction and not the story of my late grandfather, who I loved dearly.


--Time's up--

No comments: