An exercise in creative writing

Friday, June 13, 2008

Hazy Hot & Humid

It was a Sunday on a hazy hot and humid day. The first day of the work week, but with this special feeling of summer joy and up and coming long yearned vacations. A goodbye party was being organized for our German intern.

It has been a week since the two soldiers was abducted in northern Israel and in the background we carefully followed after the dropping map. What an horrible map. A map that showcases the exact places in which missiles have fallen into houses, schools, hospitals and even kindergartens.

However, all that was happening in the north. Not far from Haifa - just about a half an hour drive up the road. But still, in the north.

As in every Sunday morning, I was chatting with the secretary and interns while slowly sipping my first cup of filtered coffee. Letting the caffeine to penetrate my veins and wake me up. We were joking and having a good laugh when I heard a huge explosion sound and the office, very modern and covered with floor to ceiling glass windows - shook violently.

I froze and turned as pale as the only wall we had at the office (in the bathroom) and shortly after began shaking myself. Involuntarily. Another two explosions occurred and my shaking got worse. The secretary tried to reassure me by saying it must be the digging of the Carmel Tunnels, when the siren began ...

The war has arrived to Haifa. There is no doubt now.

I hate wars. Especially on a hazy hot and humid summer days while staying at a glass castle.

No comments: