An exercise in creative writing

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Falling

This Daily Write is dedicated to the soldier Gilad Shalit who was abducted exactly two years ago from Israel and is now held by the Hamas.



Sometimes I dream that I'm falling and the shatter from the fall wakes me up. Sometimes I dream that I am crying for help but no body can hear me because the words don't come out. Sometimes I dream I am being followed and I cannot run fast enough and when I am captured, the trauma wakes me up.

About a year ago, around the first sad "anniversary" to Shalit's captivation, his evil captors had released a video with pictures of Gilad and his voice was at the background. He was crying for help. His face looked swallen and his evil captors had said that he needs urgent medical care but they won't treat him as long as he's there.

The tears started dropping from my eyes in long and wide perpetual streams. I was shivering when I heard Gilad's cracked voice, calling for help. Hundreds of thousands of people have heard him - if not millions - but he was not heard.

Gilad cannot wake up from his nightmare. He could not wake up when he fell captive. He could not wake up when he was followed and captured - on Israeli soil. He cannot wake up from his awful nightmare, he is crying for help but his voice isn't heard.



--Time's up--

No comments: