An exercise in creative writing

Monday, June 9, 2008

Constrained

I want to live my life authentically. I don't want to be unique and I don't want to follow the herd. All I want to do is to lead a normal life in which I do only things I'm passionate about and enjoy the process of doing them.

All my life I feel constrained by other people's thoughts and common practices. If it is popular to be unique, I'm trying to be unique by wearing what the current fashion moguls dictate as unique. I'm reading the first book on the best-seller's list. I'm building my play list according to the rankings on the radio. Even my vacations are formed by the current "travel fashion", Choosing my destination from the latest travel magazine. One year it was the far east and now it's tropical heavens...

I have had enough. I want to live my own life. I want to take control over my choices in life and not to follow other people's opinions.

My journey towards unconstrained life begins at the day-to-day living. Before canceling all my magazine subscriptions and turning off the radio, I need to make sure I am doing exactly what I want to do every day from the moment I wake up to the moment I go back to sleep. Every step I take - be it the choice I make for my breakfast plate - is truly mine.


--Time's up--

No comments: